Saturday, May 15, 2010

Making an aquaintance



You will have seen the planned increase in the percentage needed to get a vote of no confidence, 51% - 55%, announced on the 13th May. Given the fact the conservatives hold a 47% share of seats in parliament it struck me as a severe blow to the system of checks and balances that holds governments accountable.

So I emailed my MP about it as soon as I saw the BBC news report that sold it as a 'fait acomplis' aside in the deal done with Nick Clegg.

As this is my first encounter with my new Tory right honorable member. I began by congratulating him on his recent success, wished him well in his new post and hoped he would represent his constituents well from his new position. I then went on to explain my alarm at the move suggested, the way it is reported as a done deal and my reasoning behind my being against such a move. To his credit I received a reply by email within the hour asking for my home address in order to reply.

I was content with the small amount of time invested. Well worth spending lunch writing that email and taking an active part in the system I pay for. He may as well add me to his contacts now anyway!

Sadly on the same day I had a conversation with someone who had a similar view on the whole thing, yet laughed at the fact I had bothered to write at all!

"Why bother, that won't change anything?" He said.

"Do nothing and you can be sure of the results." I said.

I don't expect I can change the world. But I can do a shit load more than lean on a bar complaining about MPs, what they don't do for us and how they look out for themselves.

If you email your MP every time he/she does something you don't agree with:

1. They KNOW you are watching, when you OPPOSE and that you are prepared to get INVOLVED.

2. They will have to consider YOUR view, because at the very least they MUST reply.

3. They know you are on the net. How many MPs want you Blogging about how LITTLE they did to represent you?

Despite the massive power corporate £s have in lobbying your MP one way or another it is still wrong to do so - hence covered as 'contributions'. They still depend on your VOTE to get that cushy seat, subsidized food and expense claims. They still HAVE to play the GAME of representing you.

There are almost 650 MPs representing millions of voters. It wouldn't take many of us engaging in our usually ignored democratic right to make them hear OUR view, perhaps 1 in 10. The game is being played every day, with or without you. When you choose not to play and allow your MP free reign YOU are as guilty as him when abuses happen. Your MP is one aspect of democracy, YOU are the other.

Do your bit. Play the game.

Peace & Best Wishes

Freegionnaire

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't believe in censorship, so please post responsibly. Thank you - Mark